[geeks] another entry in the "get a life" contest

Dave Kimmel criscokid at v-wave.com
Tue Mar 19 17:26:19 CST 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 06:14:28PM -0800, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > I mean, I like video games, but I ain't gonna specially design my entire
> > freaking computer system around *one* game!  Dang!
>
> I saw another one where a guy bought a scrapped A-4 (or something
> similar) cockpit so that he could retrofit his PC into it for his flight
> simulator, and wired everything up so that it was "authentic".

Someone on the OOPic[1] mailing list wanted to do something like that.  I
thought it was a pretty interesting idea, actually.

[1] The OOPic is a microcontroller, similar to the Basic Stamp, but way
better.  www.oopic.com for more info.  In a nutshell, it runs some kind of
bytecode out of an EEPROM.  The OOPic has built in networking (I2C between
OOPics) and some other nifty stuff, but its fairly slow, so certain
time-critical things that would be trivial in PIC assembly are very
non-trivial on the OOPic.

-- Dave Kimmel
   criscokid at v-wave.com