[geeks] [Computerworld_DailyShark at Computerworld.com: Shark Tank: We have a winner]

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Mar 19 10:19:27 CST 2002

Now *this* is funny.  From the Computerworld Shark Tank; extra crap cut out..

----- Forwarded message from Computerworld_DailyShark at Computerworld.com -----
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:25:03 -0500
From: Computerworld_DailyShark at Computerworld.com
Subject: Shark Tank: We have a winner
To: mrbill at MRBILL.NET

<snip>

Shark Tank: We have a winner

IT manager pilot fish at this small Internet service provider has been
up all night stomping out network problems.

He's got it down to just one intermittent problem involving a router,
so he sits down in his office and calls Cisco technical support.

"After giving the nice lady my account number, I was put on hold to
listen to soft elevator music. I switched to speaker phone and leaned
back in my chair," fish says.

And promptly falls asleep.

"When I awoke, the music was still playing," he says. "I was still on
hold.

"A few minutes later, the phone went silent. I sat listening to see if
I'd been disconnected when suddenly a voice said, 'Hello?'"

It's the Cisco tech, who explains that when he answered the call, he
could hear the fish snoring over the speaker phone.

"They tried to wake me by yelling into the phone and whistling," fish
says. "It was all to no avail. I slept through it."

The vendor's tech support policy being never to be the first to hang
up, the tech just put fish on hold, and then checked back every five or
10 minutes.

But the tech doesn't really mind. "We started a pool as to how long
you would sleep," he tells fish cheerfully. "I selected eight hours, so
I win."

Copyright 2002 Computerworld Inc.
----- End forwarded message -----

--