[geeks] Insurance, and Why I Hate It (long)

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Mon Mar 18 17:19:27 CST 2002

>    I'm 22 years old with a perfect driving record.  I drive a 2001
> Pontiac
> Firebird with a V6, air bags, ABS, and alarm.  What do I pay?  About
> $2500
> per annum.  That alone is enough for me to rant about, but, you know,
> I'd
> assumed that, if I ever got in an accident, the insurance company would
> actually -do- something, so I didn't bitch too hard.

Two notes to this:

first, when I was 18 and driving a 1982 280ZX Turbo, it cost $3,800/year
to insure, perfect record. Youre lucky you have the airbags, abs, alarm,
and v6. Turbos/Superchargers/V8's/"sport" trim/etc all cause horrific
insurance hikes.

second, now that I drive said 280ZX about 10 miles a month, it will cost
me $1200 a year. I'm now 24 with a perfect record.

when i first learned about what a frappin ripoff insurance rates were, I
came up with an idear I think was just too far ahead for its time:

take out a loan for the cost of your car, new. place said loan in the
bank and accrue interest at 3%. make monthly loan payments. after
<period of loan> without actually crashing your car, you have your money
back, and youve even offset some of the interest you paid. its a helluva
lot better than giving the $$ to the insurance company thats going to
fuck you no matter whose fault it is.

i mentioned this to my insurance rep who balked at the notion: "but then
you wouldnt be insured!" he didnt really grok the concept.

at any rate, in california you must be insured -- or you can post a
bond, which i believe must be $50,000. you can bet when i get the chance
thats where i'll be putting my money.

alex

--
alex j avriette, perl hacker