[geeks] Intel (Xircom) or 3Com CardBus

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Mon Mar 18 09:56:02 CST 2002

> I am wondering what to get for a network card
> for my newly acquired Thinkpad 600e.
>
> I have looked at the documentation for two. Anyone
> have any feedback on these or recommendations
> for others?
>
> 3Com. OfficeConnect. 10/100 LAN CardBus PC Card with Integrated
> Connector.
> Product #: 3C3SH573BT
>
>    -or-
>
> Intel RealPort CardBus Ethernet 10/100
> Model:RBE-100BTX
>
> I plan to be running Win98 on it unless it causes me too
> much grief, then I will switch over to a BSD perhaps. I
> am considering these because they are from well established
> companies.

I in fact have this same laptop and have tried for MONTHS to get that
damn card to work and it just frickin doesnt. I run freebsd 4.4 on it.
I'm about ready to give it back to work so they can surplus it.

erm. ok, after having actually read it (above was knee-jerk to subject),
i want to recommend FIRMLY and STRONGLY and EMPHATICALLY and IN ALL
CAPITALS against the xircom card. it sucks. dont buy it. if you find
one, burn it.

alex

--
alex j avriette, perl hacker