[geeks] Being a guy, and being sentimental.

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 18 11:15:09 CST 2002

There is a company in NH that deconstructs buildings, sells the architectual
hightlights (mantles, etc.) to antique architecture dealers and salvages
wood/brick/electrical/plumbing for low-income people to fix/renovate with.
They aren't getting rich, but they are busy.

Some stuff cleans up well (timber and bricks) and some stuff is a tough sell
for new/repair work. I see brick companies going to great length to
duplicate old brick color/size/finish while old bricks are dumped in big
holes. A minute or two with a hammer and chisel will turn a free dumped
brick into a clean $1.00 to $1.50 brick. Actually, people will pay you to
take bricks, so they are cheaper than free.

So lets say you get the bricks for free. Spend average 1.5 minutes each
cleaning, sell for $1.00. Thats $45.00 per hour for unskilled manual labor.
That should be enough money to afford overhead like land, a truck and
advertising.

But no, thanks. I'll try and keep doing what I've been doing. If the 'puter
industry dies again, maybe I'll try my hand at it.

James Fogg, Network Engineer
Vicinity Corporation - New Hampshire
(603) 442-1751