[geeks] Secure 802.11b?

Michael Dombrowski legodude at hammycorp.com
Sun Mar 17 16:01:41 CST 2002

I've been thinking of setting up 802.11b here and want to protect my
network against snoopers. My idea is something like:

Internal Network->802.11b Firewall->Dumb Access Point->Laptop

In my setup the Firewall machine would block off every port except
the VPN one, the laptop or other client computer would connect to the
main network via the VPN so it would be just like it's on the
network. The firewall machine would also run a dhcp server. Is this
method viable or are there easier ways to do what I want? I also
could consolidate the access point + firewall into one machine with
NetBSD + IPX + PC Card swapbox but then I lose some flexibility in
the future.

Thanks
Mike