[geeks] Help with MCSE

Geek geek at geeksworld.net
Sat Mar 16 18:11:32 CST 2002

I had a teacher like that, one we could hardly understand and who was
very obviously a glorified low level MCSE, and his bad teaching is
what caused me to leave the course. I tried to learn the stuff,
reading all the books we had, but he was just not the person who
should have been teaching the course.

When anyone, or any group he didn't like or agree with(meaning not
able to pass the MCSE without the course) asked a question he would
simply listen to the problem and walk away. This happened to me often
because of my questioning the course material. No answer, no
tutelage, just ignorance. As well, the hardware we used was
antiquated, and failing. For instance, we were supposed to learn NT 4
Server on P 166's with no working NIC's, and hard drives that failed
regularly. 24 students paid $4,400 to enter the course and we were
told that we had only paid enough to cover the teachers' salaries,
and the book costs(all the books were at least a year old), and that
their budget was not adequate for the purchase of new hardware.

When we asked for a replacement for a dead hard drive, we were told a
request would be put in for one, and we should know in February or
March. The in class stuff ends end of March. About half the class
could afford to take the tests at $150 a piece, and all those who
passed were the ones who, from the beginning, obviously did not need
to take the course, as they knew enough to simply pay for some of the
books and read, then take the tests.

This course has soured me on post secondary education, and is further
proof to me that it is not smart to pay $5,000, plus the costs of
living while in school, just to get certifications that mean nothing
in the real world. One last complaint I had for the course was the
great lack of anything beyond Cisco and Windows. We had 3 or 4 weeks
on Novell, and 4 or 5 days on Linux. No Sun, no real Unix education,
all of it was 'how do you make a _____ system work with a Windows
network?' and that is negligent and wrong, as I tried to point out
continually that there is a lot more out there then Windows.

Dwight Wallbridge,
Webmaster, Geek, Blogger.

Geek's World http://www.geeksworld.net
Geek Blog http://www.geekblog.net/