[geeks] Help with MCSE

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Sat Mar 16 11:47:50 CST 2002

> Such people should not be allowed to teach network fundamentals.

no, they should not.

>> http://polaris.umuc.edu/~lgibbons/cmit366/htmdocs/answersqmf4051.htm
>
> Hrm... can't open any of the links on that page...

hmmm... it is possible these are only served inside umuc.

> 'tis not hard using Group Policy.  Enable the setting "Restrict the user
> from entering author mode" under "$GroupPolicyName\User
> Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Management Console".
> The setting "Restirct users to the explicitly permitted list of
> snap-ins" used in conjunction with the "Restricted/Permitted snap-ins"
> subtree you can meed the optional requirements.
>
> The kicker is to have a sufficiently well-organized AD structure to make
> permission inheritance in the AD organizational units (OUs for short)
> easy.

eep! people DO know that stuff?!!

> A test environment where you can play with AD without fear of screwing
> things up :(
>
> Note that I'm not an MCSE, just a (now disgraced) Unix geek that has
> spent too much time with AD over the last month or so.

I was thinking of buying one or more emachines (at $300 a pop theyre not
bad) for her to use windows on, afterwhich they'd make nice
openbsd/linux machines.

think that would work? any other suggestions?

alex