[geeks] OH YEAH

Jonathan Eisch jeisch at boku.net
Sat Mar 16 09:44:08 CST 2002

On 3/16/02 12:50 AM, "Peter L. Wargo" <pwargo at basenji.com> wrote:
> This lady was cold while working at the console, so she turned the temp
> controller for the 5-ton to "off".  She then went to lunch.  Room got
> REALLLLLLLY hot...
>
> Ya know, I should collect our stories on this list and make a book out
> of 'em...

I can't remember where it was (and I really wish I could) but I recall
reading a collection of such stories on the web somewhere.

One about a maintence worker at a place where IBM had installed a liquid
cooled mainframe, who would fill his cleaning bucket with water from the
coolant drain (which looked like a spigot).

Or another one about one of the very early hard drives, the three foot metal
ones, that had an 'emergency break' to stop it from spinning quickly in case
something went wrong.  Then they replaced the metal disk with fiberglass
one, and when the break went down, the disk broke apart and things went
flying.

If someone knows about the document I'm referring to, could you direct me to
it, as I recall, it was a very good read.

-Jonathan