[geeks] lazy thursday night, bamboo

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Mar 15 09:44:03 CST 2002

> > I want that guy, Vern Yu (?) to redecorate my house.  Every time I see
> > him do a room, it turn out *awesome*.  That older woman with the short,
> > gray hair makes me go *squink* every time she's on.  I jut know she's
> > going to something wierd for the sake of doing something wierd.
>
> vern yip. he's more of an architect tho :)he's done some cool stuff from
> time to time. i'm with you on the freaky lady though. she didn't come back
> for the second season, thank god.

I think I like his work so much because he's an architect.  Architects,
at least good ones, are usually taught that form should follow function
- in other words, don't do wierd stuff for the sake of doing wierd
stuff.  He also knows a *lot* about classic styling and construction.

When I was in college my minor was architecture, and there were some
profs there that would mark you down if something was *too* functional.
I think it was a method to get you to think outside the box, but it
didn't work on me.  I'd consistently get low marks for creating a highly
useable space - while others with visually stunning, yet totally
unuseable spaces would get lauded and praised.  Made me want to puke
each and every time.

One of my final projects was to design a two story museum - mine looked
like this:
O ______
 |      \
 |______/
Except the "balls" were much larger (and I don't feel like becoming an
ascii artist).

You can imagine the reactions I got...

Kurt