[geeks] Solaris 8 partitioning

Craig Leikis cleikis at superpages.com
Fri Mar 15 08:39:20 CST 2002

> The general feeling around work is that a separation of / and /usr is
> not necessary anymore.  /var is good to break out on servers, since it
> can fill.  Also, if I have a large system (say, over 8G of RAM), I like
> to make sure that /var/crash can handle large coredumps.

An instructor I had explained that the partioning is a hold-over from
the days when disks were much smaller. You had to put the different
filesystems on different disks.

I second what you said about coredumps, I had a system recently that would
regularly (every 2 hours) drop 1 gig coredumps. There was a memory leak in
a kernel module that would fill all memory (1 gig). Unforutnately, the
system was set up splitting all of the filesystems out and /var was only
given 512M.

As a side note, I watched the server as it would "circle the drain" and if
you've never seen the scan rate go over 20 digits, it's quite interesting.

Craig