[geeks] Solaris 8 partitioning

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Fri Mar 15 00:21:28 CST 2002

On Thursday, March 14, 2002, at 06:37 , Michael Schiller wrote:

> So I guess my more 'traditional' method of partitioning a drive isn't
> needed either? I usually have either a 512m or 256m / a 512m swap a 512m
> or 256m /var and a /usr that fills the rest of the drive. I don't
> normally make a /export/home partition preferring to put the user home
> dirs in /usr/home/

The general feeling around work is that a separation of / and /usr is
not necessary anymore.  /var is good to break out on servers, since it
can fill.  Also, if I have a large system (say, over 8G of RAM), I like
to make sure that /var/crash can handle large coredumps.

As for /export/home, that is just a convention that goes way back in
SunOS 5.x.  I used to use just /home, but now I use /.export/home and
edit the auto_home map to mount to /home.

It took me a while to be convinced, but I believe now.  We actually had
a long discussion about this in the OS internals class (employee
version), and pretty much everybody follows those conventions now.

-Pete