[geeks] other stuff, like amateur radio and whatnot...

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Mar 14 22:37:04 CST 2002

[ On Thursday, March 14, 2002 at 21:54:55 (-0600), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] speaking of proper setup..
>
> Yours is the only host I see bouncing mail back at me lately, so I dont
> think AOL requires this anymore.  Lessee...
>
> looks like I've got about 20 @aol.com addresses on the various lists.

That's not going to tell us much -- your list mail goes out with a
different SmTP envelope sender address.  Even your own personal mail
seems to have a special sender address (<mrbill at mrbill.net>).  I guess
Amy doesn't have anything special in her Pine config to set the sender
address so it ends up as the full hostname <scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net>
if she sends directly (i.e. as opposed to sending via one of your
lists).

> > Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; VE3TCP
>
> Can we stop nitpicking about protocol specifics / operational behavior
> and maybe talk about something else?  Ham radio?  I picked up a nice
> Kenwood R-600 HF receiver (about 20 years old, all solid-state) last
> weekend.

Yup, though I'm not active much at all unless I happen to be going on
a road trip, in which case I usualy take my 2m mobile rig along for
company.

> TCP - that a vanity handle, or did you just happen to end up with that one?

I lucked out on that one -- "IP" was my first choice, but it was long gone.
I don't remember what I put down on the form for a third choice.....

> Hrm.  callsign.ualr.edu has no records for VE3TCP.  Must not be a ham
> callsign.  Oh.  Canada.  I dont have access to that database. 8-)

Try http://www.rac.ca/database.htm

See also:

	$ host -a ve3tcp.ampr.org
	ve3tcp.ampr.org         A       44.135.88.57

	$ host -a robohack.ve3tcp.ampr.org
	robohack.ve3tcp.ampr.org        A       44.135.88.58

Unfortunately I don't have a radio modem any more, and even if I did
there'd likely be no way to reach those IP#s anyway....

I guess I'm partly to blame myself, but it seems Toronto is about the
most apathetic area in the world when it comes to getting hams organised
to build a proper radio network.  Last time I looked at the situation
around here there were a couple of radio accessible BBS's, some even
with "high-speed" (9600bps) modems but nothing even remotely resembling
a real network.  Too many of the old farts still long for the days of
morse code dominating the airwaves, and for some reason we let them
continue to be in positions of power in the local clubs.  Well they do
have the spare time....  :-)

I keep meaning to ask to have some NS (or even MX) records added for
ve3tcp.ampr.org so that I can at least use the domain, but I never seem
to get around to figuring out who to ask....

--
								Greg A. Woods