[geeks] a little advice about DNS and naming conventions

Mike Meredith hmv at meredithm.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Mar 14 18:08:48 CST 2002

On Thursday 14 March 2002 23:27, you wrote:
> > Besides.  WTF difference does it make?  Secondary and slave are
> > equatable in the minds of a lot of people.
>
> But in this context they are about a zillion miles appart --
> completely different and unrelated in any way.

Most people who know enough about the DNS to know what a slave or a
secondary is, know enough to know that it's just a nameserver you don't
edit zone files on.

> secondary nameservers therefore you must, by association, need
> secondary MXers.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

PHB's will jump to extraordinary conclusions no matter how hard you try
and prevent them. Slapping down my PHB's afterwards is just part of my
job. Changing "secondaries" to "slaves" isn't going to help.