[geeks] Kurt is loaded with Octane-y goodness...

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Thu Mar 14 12:35:57 CST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Jeff Borisch wrote:
> Here is a related question...
> I once heard of a device that could send a highly directional
> electromagnetic pulse that when aimed at a car with an offensively loud
> sound system would render said sound system useless. Or at the very least,
> pop the subwoofer.
>
> Could such a device be built practically? Of course, that depends on your
> definition of practical. It would be important not to harm any living things
> or innocent electronic equipment.

Depends on the core of it. Most magnetron-based devices and do have the
side effect of emitting microwave (somewhat narrow-band) RF to produce an
EMP like effect. You could kill birds with it, concievably. And it is
indiscriminate. If for some reason the RF bounces off of the cars trunk,
there is no telling where it will wind up.

Unfortunately, the worse part about HERF and EMP is testing -- an
accidential discharge can not only ruin your day, but kill *all* of your
electronics, including your car.

Then there is the power factor -- you're going to need like 3KW - 5KW at
high-voltage to do a good discharge. That's a lot of HV capacitors. And a
power supply. And a generator or large UPS to run the power supply.

I believe the proper way to make an EMP discharge is through a spark-gap.
the radiation from that is *very* wideband, unlike a magnetron. Problem
is, that's one hell of a spark.