database stuff (was: Re: [geeks] Accountable Geeking)

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Tue Mar 12 19:24:44 CST 2002

> Okay, for simple stuff, can anyone give me reasons (not a flamewar, but
> reasons) to get acquainted with PostgreSQL instead of continuing to use
> MySQL?

it depends on what you mean by 'simple.'

with database selection it really depends on your data, your hardware,
your software, and your os. im inclined to believe that for cygwin it
doesnt really matter what database you run. if youre doing SMP, probably
mysql isnt your best bet. if youre going to have lots of concurrent
connections, oracle and postgres are more robust than mysql when it
comes to crashes and the like.

ive personally benched mysql and postgres against my dataset (a few
million xml metadata files and a corresponding few million tiffs and
pdf's), and dont find mysql to be faster at all.

on a sort of personal note, i am really happy with the postgresql
developers. theyre a great group of people and totally willing to help
with things, while i have not found the same to be true of mysql
developers. i also "feel like" im using a database with postgres -- I
dont get that same feeling with mysql.

additionally the documentation for postgresql is just fantastic.

i understand that mysql is commonly used in 'enterprise' business, but
ive actually had several people track me down looking for my skills with
postgres and offering me jobs, etc.

perhaps if you elaborated on the purpose of the database and the data it
was serving, i could be, ahem, of more service to you.

alex