[geeks] car question (RESOLVED)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Mar 12 09:33:10 CST 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 10:16:10AM -0500, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> > Consider yourself lucky.  I once paid $350 for REAR-ONLY  drums and pads
> > on a Volkswagen Rabbit.  That was over 10 years ago, before I knew how
> > to do it myself...
>
> Although to be fair, drums and shoes do cost more than pads and rotors.
> Much more complicated metal bits in them (not just a flat sheet of metal =) )

Under what circumstances are drums better than rotors?  Performance cars use
rotors all way round. Most braking is done with the front wheels, which are
always rotors.  So why do car manufactures still use drums?  To subsidize
people for being able to charge us more?

I keep considering converting my '87 jetta to all wheel rotors (rip the rear
ones from a performance audi I guess), just to keep from having to touch
drums because I hate working on them so much.

--
Joshua D. Boyd