[geeks] still looking for a cheap used GPS, Trimble Scout available

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 8 10:05:58 CST 2002

Are you still looking for a cheap used GPS?  While searching for sites for
used GPS, you entry came up.

I have a Trimble Scout.  You can find information on the Trimble Scout M/M+
on Trimble's web site.
Please note the Trimble Scout is a previous model.  My Trimble Scout does
not have a RS-232 port (the Trimble Scout M/M+ do). This is why I am looking
for something else.  It is also not waterproof (not IPX7)

I am looking for a used GPS that has a RS-232 port that supports NEMA 2.0
and above, and is IPX7 waterproof (the battery case is never really
waterproof).  I want to plug it into my recently acquired used Compaq iPaq
3635 with Microsoft Pocket Streets.  Most likely, I will purchase a used
Garmin eTrex with an accessory cable.

The Trimble Scout is in excellent condition.  It is 4 channel (this gives
you an indication of its age).  I have also used it for navigation.  It
works quite well.  It is slightly slower at getting a fix than the new
GPSes.  It has been my  GPS went wandering out in the wilderness type areas.
It gives a fix, accepts many different map coordinates systems.  There is
some error checking in the software.

I can send pictures of it, the orange case, and the manual via email.

Scott Bemis
11200 19th Avenue South
Burnsville, Minnesota 55337-1102
home email address:  sebemis at self-serv.net

http://www.trimble.com/support_trl.asp?Nav=Collection-5292
[geeks] Looking for cheap used GPS
Bruce Pullig geeks at sunhelp.org  <mailto:geeks%40sunhelp.org>
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 16:25:44 -0600
breakthrough  <010501.html>
<thread.html>  [ subject ] <subject.html>  [ author ] <author.html>

I found a website that gives decent lat/long for addresses, but would like
to be able to get them in the field so I don't have to do my homework
before deciding where I'm going to setup.  Or if the site doesn't have an
address.

Really this is just an excuse to buy a new cool toy.