[geeks] Booze and Religion

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Sat Mar 9 23:15:06 CST 2002

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Jeff Borisch wrote:

> Amy wrote:
>
> > cows eat grass, man. i only eat cows that eat normal grass. corn-fed
> > cattle taste wrong (flat tasting as opposed to a more 'gamey' taste).
>
> Is that kind of meat easy to get in Texas? Sorry if that is a stupid
> question, I've never been there. You certainly don't find that in the common
> supermarket here in Ohio. Here, it's all about being cheaper and more of it.
> Here, Grain-Fed is marketed as the "good stuff". And I've *never* seen it
> mentioned on a menu anywhere.

fairly easy. you can request it or find it at better butchers and grocers,
particularly the more, ah, earthy kind. as far as the grain vs. grass fed,
it's all preference. its kind of like milk in different areas of the
country. i grew up in tn, land of bluegrass and dairy cows. so the milk
was naturally sweet and rich. i move to texas, where i guess the cows are
fed nothing but dirt and cedar pollen and the milk here is watery and
bitter (outside of promised land milk, which just kicks all manner of
ass...at 2.99 per 1/4 gallon it is worth every penny). similar thing with
the taste of the cow itself based on what it is fed/chooses to eat due to
different plants in the area.

> One thing we have plenty of here is deer meat. That has an interesting
> taste.

the only venison i ever had was deep fried a la country fried steak and
smothered with gravy. it tasted...vaguely cowish. sorta vealish.

> I hope I haven't misled anyone here, I'm not totally against meat eaters, I
> eat it sometimes. I'm against meat factories. There is a difference.

meat factories=bad tasting meat, imo.

--a