[geeks] Booze and Vegetables

Jeff Borisch jborisch at columbus.rr.com
Fri Mar 8 22:58:01 CST 2002

Kurt Huhn wrote:
> I might be an idiot - but I'm 70 pounds lighter today than I was 3 years
> ago, and I've kept it off for 3 years, with no ill effects.  In fact,
> there's all kinds of beneficial effects to Atkins-type diets for folks
> with diabetes and  hypoglycemia (as well as your average sugar-addict).

>From what I know you have been eating meat and fresh vegetables for a long
time and feel very healthy. That is great. For one thing you get a good
amount of fiber. Our digestive tracts are not meant to handle low fiber-high
fat diets. I have no explanation for the success of the Inuit, who eat very
little fiber. I'll have to read up on this.

One thing I have seen from people doing the Atkins and similar diets is that
they interpret it to mean "I can eat anything as long as it is not carbs."
This is where the danger comes in. Animal proteins put a heavy load on the
kidneys. So just eating lots of cheeseburgers just without the bun does not
do the body a lot of good.

Vegetarians do the same thing. "I can eat anything I want as long as it
didn't come from an animal."  Many vegetarians develop really bad sweet
tooth's.

--jeff