[geeks] GnuPG help

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Mar 8 16:12:07 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 04:02:35PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Anybody know how to get rid of this warning when using GnuPG?
>
> bash-2.03$ gpg -q --list-keys
> gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
>
> I'm trying to get everything setup...  got my key made, got it sent to
> a keyserver, got it setup with mutt, but I hate that warning being
> everywhere.

>From the manpage:

BUGS
       On  many  systems  this  program  should  be  installed as
       setuid(root). This is  necessary  to  lock  memory  pages.
       Locking  memory  pages  prevents the operating system from
       writing memory pages to disk. If you get no  warning  mes-
       sage  about insecure memory your operating system supports
       locking without being root. The program drops root  privi-
       leges as soon as locked memory is allocated.

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  " Norton Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files.  This
    provides more security than wiping with decimal values. "
            -- from the manual of Norton Systemworks 2002, pg 160