[geeks] Intel's new bechmark idea

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Tue Mar 5 19:27:31 CST 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, James Sharp wrote:
> You're dealing with people who get glazed looks in their eyes whenever
> they see the word "Intel".  They probably could have benchmarked it
> against a 4.77Mhz TRS-80 model III and everyone would have gone
> "ooooooooh.....ahhhhhhh......megahertz........pentium....".

What's a good general benchmark for comparative performance? All of the
"old" machines I have read about are quoted in MIPS.

Also, as PCs progress, I find myself more and more disgusted with them.
Stupid bus implementations, busses too small or slow, and so on.

My ISP (HiWAAY.NET) uses a quad-667 MHz Alpha. That machine is over five
years old, and still going on strong, despite the fact that the ISP has
gone from 5,000 users to 21,000 users. Sure, it's had more hard drive
space added, and some RAM at one point, but it's still doing it's job.

PCs weren't made to do this. And that bothers me to no end [0].

[0]: I can't afford a serious UNIX machine right now. :(