[geeks] Re: TeX, etc

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Mar 2 19:44:43 CST 2002

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 01:15:44AM +0000, Ferris McCormick wrote:
> There are several others I consult as needed.  If you can give some
> ideas about what you want to use it for, I (or someone) might have
> some thoughts;  otherwise, I suppose Diller/Goossens in combination
> make as painless an introduction as any.

I also ordered the TeXbook, THEN found out I could download it as a .tex
file and print it out myself.  d'oh!

> Another approach you can look at is using the LyX package if you
> don't care for backslashes (I don't use the package, but its documentation
> is pretty good.)

I'm looking at this right now in fact - got it installing on my Win32 and
*nix boxes as we "speak".

> Let me know if I can be of any assistance; I am a TeX fanatic when
> it comes to documentation, and I won't use anything else (there is a
> good (and free) dvi->pdf converter which solves communications
> problems with people who like WYSIWYG word processors on commonly
> used PC-based systems.)

Basically I'm re-kickstarting the SunHELP book project.... I figure if I do
it in TeX of some sort, I can then output to pretty much any format I want
without problem, easier than doing it in DocBook..

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net