Kyocera cutlery (was [geeks] Be)

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Sat Jun 29 22:09:48 CDT 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Ross Alexander wrote:
> > One thing I'm looking forward
> > to, going home, is having some southern BBQ as opposed to Texas BBQ. :)
>
> How would you describe the difference?

The difference is mostly in how it's cooked, the cuts of meat themselves,
how it's served, and the sauce and the way it's used.

Texas:

Dry-rubbed, cooked over a charcoal (usually mesquite) pit, charring all
edges heavily. Cuts of meat are usually ribs (beef on the majority),
chopped, and brisket. Here you can eat all the above dry with no sauce and
be happy. The sauces are heavily pepper-based and are always on the side.

There (Georgia, Eastern TN, Eastern AL):

Not rubbed, cooked in a smokehouse so there's few charred edges. The meat
tends to come out so tender it slides off the bones. Cuts of meat are
mainly pork (beef isn't preferred) ribs and sides. You get your choice of
ribs or shredded meat (something I can't get here). You can't eat them
without sauce..they're too bland from not being dry-rubbed. The sauces are
honey and vinegar based (tangy but a little sweet) and always poured over
the top of what you order.

For the past decade or so my Dad's been one of the judges off and on at my
hometown's "Pig Roast", which is a few hundred regional BBQ-makers in
competition to see who's got the best BBQ, sauce, in all sorta of
categories. The biggest, heaviest contested one is always sauce, ribs in a
close second.

I think what I miss the most is shredded beef with tons of sauce on it.
It's something I can't get here. :)

--a