[geeks] baby stuff

Ross Alexander ross at mail.two-cats.net
Sat Jun 29 18:00:31 CDT 2002

> > The first new car I ever bought was an '86 Sentra. I almost had it paid
> > off when I totaled it.
>
> This I must hear about -- Details, man! Details! (Seriously, I want to
> know how you totaled it, where the damage was, did you walk away, etc. --
> This is my daily driver and the car does scare me from time to time[0])

I was rushing to get lunch after a hectic morning. It was raining
lightly and I was thinking more of what to eat than paying attention to
driving. I rushed to make a left turn at a light and it wasn't until
after I committed to the turn that I saw the Honda Accord coming in the
other direction without lights on. Oh SH*T! I knew at that point there
was no way I was going to avoid him. We hit pretty much head on (I was
probably going ~25 MPH at that point). I felt the rear end of my car
lift up, my glasses fly off of my face as we hit. Luckily I was wearing
my seat belt and so was the other driver (I think). Both cars settled
down, we both got out, looked at the damage and waited for the tow
trucks. The right front fender of my car was crumpled around the wheel
(the body shop estimate later said the frame was bent). His was less
damaged, pretty much dead center front. The estimate for my repairs was
~$3000 IIRC, which the insurance co. declared a totaling, his was
~$5000 and I think he had the repairs done. I walked away unhurt, he was
rubbing his neck and in the papers that went back and forth I saw he was
claiming expenses for one doctors visit.

All in all, I consider myself damn lucky (and pretty stupid for not
paying better attention to where I was going).

--
Ross Alexander
ross at two-cats.net