[geeks] baby stuff

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sat Jun 29 15:19:26 CDT 2002

A clutch on most cars is harder than a head gasket, not the actual
clutch, just the hassle of getting it out to work on it.  The head
gasket on your Jetta is bit of a job because it is an overhead cam, so
you have to make sure your valve train stays in time.

Probably the biggest pain on the Jetta is getting the plastic timing
belt cover off, because you may have to take all the belts off, and
Volkswagen has this nasty habit of not tensioning belts by swiveling the
accessory it runs, but by putting shimms between the pulley halves.

That is the dumbest idea I have ever seen on a german car, and that is
saying quite a bit, after all, Audi was the company that decided
batteries belonged under the back seat, positioned so that a heavy
person could short them with a seat spring.

Tim