[geeks] baby stuff

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jun 28 21:38:03 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 09:07:12PM -0500, Beth Roberts wrote:

> I am thoroughly amazed at people who can successfully wrangle multiple
> children in a crowded capitalistic maelstrom. Really.

I think they are usually just mostly mild kids.  Just one of me and a
mild sister was apparently quite a handful.  Or so other mothers (the
kind who would sucessfully wrangle multiple of their own kids through
a crowded store) would say after a day of me visiting.

When someone hasn't seen me for in excess of 15 years they almost
always comment on how I could never hold still and was always getting
into things.  Not that I really hold still now, but I'm a bit better
about getting into things.

> Here's some of my strategy, distilled:
> - Be polite whenever possible, and err on the side of apologizing too much
> to people your child is unknowingly rude to. People seem to appreciate that
> you care enough to do this, I've found.
> - Be firm when politeness doesn't work.
> - Try bribery. Where we would be without this wonderful tool, I dunno. I
> don't wanna know.
> - Try distraction. Thank $DEITY for short attention spans.
> - Vent when necessary, to prevent uncontrolled explosions.
> - If nothing is working, call "Game Over" and hightail it home for a big-ass
> Time Out. Leave the cart in the store. Plug your ears to the crying.
> Children survive tantrums okay. You are not the worst parent in the world.
> Repeat that out loud over and over to yourself if necessary. So far, I
> haven't had to call on this technique, but I'm told it works wonders...
> </ObUnsolicitedParentingAdvice>

Here is a further thought that Mom has shared with many people, and it
seems to work the limited times I've managed other peoples child
processes.  It is, tell them something to do rather than what not to
do.  For instance, if instead of saying don't touch this or that you
say put your hands in your pocket, then they have something to focus
on, and when they forget you can remind them without them having
touched anything yet.  This obviously doesn't work in cases of
defiance as well as cases of short attention span for directions.

--
Joshua D. Boyd