[geeks] baby stuff

Steven Hill sjh at matrix.net
Fri Jun 28 16:33:46 CDT 2002

> You geeks continue to surprise/amuse/frighten/please me with your
> insights into non-geeky stuff. :):):)

I actually studied a bunch of sociology stuff in "Technology and
Society" at Edinburgh Uni.

One of the topics was about the movement away from natural birthing,
to assisited / C-sections and so on. It was fascinating to look at a
number of birthing techniques known to midwifes that were lost when
doctors muscled in with their air of superiority, when they did not
know what was good for the mother and baby. According to a few
studies, in Britain anyway, traditional birthing is coming back, with
midwifes actually being able to get on with doing what they do...

I'll not go into some of the icky examples of old methods vs new
methods that we were told about, but suffice to say, I would be very
wary of taking a doctor's word for it that $blah was the best way to
have a baby.

S.

--
Steven Hill