[geeks] Re: Episode III: Editor wars (was I'm new here)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jun 28 12:52:48 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 07:23:47PM -0400, alex j avriette wrote:

> i find these distinctions between various flavors of windows totally
> silly. its all windows. dont say "win 2k" or "win nt." i dont say
> "solaris 8" or "macos 10.1.5". i say "solaris", "openbsd", and so on.
> when specifically necessary, i indicate the version number. but win2k is
> windows is drek. its just silly to continually mention your versionlevel
> like somehow its different or better than some other windows filth.
>
> ehh.. not sure what just came over me, but youve been saying "win 2k"
> like its a badge of honor for days now.

No, we don't say macos 10.1.5, but we often (usually?) say macos 10 or
macos X.  And we don't say solaris 8 all the time, that's only because
the differences between it and solaris 7 aren't that great.  If we had
a lot more people using SunOS 3 still, or Irix 3, we would specify
version everytime we mentioned irix or solaris.  Well, the differences
between Windows 2k and windows nt 4 and windows XP are all bigget than
the differences between solaris 7 8 and 9.  And that doesn't even get
into the 2k versus me or the 95, 98, and me issues (in my mind they
were all equivelent until it was hard to get new hardware and software
for 95).

--
Joshua D. Boyd