[geeks] FBI vs. bandwidth thieves

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Thu Jun 27 22:09:05 CDT 2002

jp at celestrion.net writes:

>It'd probably turn into something not entirely unlike the FBI vs. David
>Koresh at Waco, since they're obivously up to No Good housing/using all
>that computational and scientific equipment.

>What would be funnier would be the FBI siezing a piece of -really- old
>iron (A Burroughs or PDP-8 w/ core memory) under suspected cracking
>attempts.

The comp-hist group I'm part of tried to score an old MPP super
once. It was collecting dust in a hallway in a university somewhere,
was probably partially stripped, etc. Too old for anyone to want
to run, and probably not functional.

When we finally got to talk to the right people about possibly
hauling it away for them, it turned out to be gone. Someone
beat us to it.

That someone got intercepted by the feds a little later, trying
to sell it to communist china.

Heh.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org -------
----- If you want god in your government, move to fucking Afghanistan. -----