[geeks] MAME on Irix

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Thu Jun 27 20:50:28 CDT 2002

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:24:28 -0400
Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:

> Suck...
>
> well, x86 it is...

>From what I have heard X-mame takes a bunch of system, more so than DOS
mame.

DOS Mame is pretty fussy about hardware, get a genuine Sound Blaster,
preferably ISA.  Pretty fussy about video card also, it does its best to
match resolutions and frequencies to originals, and some cards do the
funky refreshes, some don't.  Current development is done on the win32
version, the rest are ported from that, so that's the uppest to date.
ROMs are no longer available from the normal places due to copyright and
$BIGCO leaning on people, so try a good newsfeed or IRC.  Apparently the
MacMame port is pretty good, Josh said that was the way he was leaning,
but I have never used that one.

My current goal is to get the home network down to 1 windows box, which
would just happen to be the mame cabinet.  Codeweavers has a product in
the works which apparently will function as a terminal server for
windows, which should fulfill all my home needs for windows, so I don't
feel too bad about running my arcade cabinet on windows.

Tim