[geeks] (no subject)

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Jun 27 19:49:56 CDT 2002

[ On Thursday, June 27, 2002 at 18:48:47 (EDT), dave at cca.org wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] (no subject)
>
> I'm really surprised some version of microemacs is standard
> these days. It seems like a lot of emacs users fire up vi only
> when they need something lightweight that starts up quickly.
> For such people, microemacs would obviously be a better
> choice.

Yeah, me to, though I'd pick any "micro"-emacs over microemacs or any of
its more recent derivatives any day!  :-)

(but that's only because I spend many hundreds of hours over the years
inside microemacs and MicroGnuEmacs and Mg fixing and fiddling with it)

In all my years of using, fixing, modifying, etc. these things I've
found that Jove is one of the best implementations of a small
emacs-UI-like editor.  I've been bugging Hugh to make a new release -- I
think he's got some minor improvements and lots more bug fixes....

Mg2a has many improvements over Conroy's original microemacs, but it's
still pretty messy inside and still has lots of quirks that I'm not at
all comfortable with.  (not that Jove doesn't also have quirks!)

JED is supposedly not bad, and has an emacs emulation mode, but I've
never really used it much.  It's gotten to be pretty huge itself too.

I've recently discovered Zile, but have not yet been able to form any
opinion about it....

Now a long time ago there was a small emacs-like editor that was
apparently written somewhere closer to AT&T Bell Labs, and there were
some UNIX System(TM) distributions which included it (Motorola comes to
mind).  It was a kinda strange kritter though and it never really got
much support amongst the majority of UNIX vendors.  It may even have
been yet another derrivative of an early Conroy microemacs release....

--
								Greg A. Woods