[geeks] bloggage

Beth Roberts beth at bethroberts.com
Thu Jun 27 19:42:53 CDT 2002

I write in a weblog.

I don't think this is really all that special, in some ways. I don't think
it makes me better than anyone else, or necessarily better than I would
otherwise be.

I do it because I feel like it, and because it meets my needs.

To me, the blog world offers this:
- A good way to find links worth following
- Some good reading
- A bunch of shallow people who spout off about all sorts of crap

It's just a tool. No more, no less. Some people like it, some don't. I
happen to like it, but I don't have anything against people who don't. I was
lucky - the first weblog I ever ran across happens to still be my #1
favorite.

I can only imagine what I'd think of blogging and bloggers if I'd run into
one of the "A-list" people as my first experience.

Yes, it amounts to just updating a web page frequently. -ish.

But the tools that people have created to make it easier for
non-programmer-types and even non-computer-types to have a weblog have
*indeed* (imho) made a difference.

Yes, much of this difference consists of idiots spewing forth idiocy. So
what? This is what happened when language was invented, too.

There are jewels out there, and if you look deeply enough, you can find
people who think kinda like you. You might gain something from reading their
weblogs, that's all.

Sorry, this turned into an essay.

-Beth

p.s. Yes I think the word "blog" is valid - it's different from a log. It's
not just a web log (that's what the web server writes to tell you what's
going on with it).