[geeks] FBI vs. bandwidth thieves

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Jun 27 17:21:10 CDT 2002

[ On Thursday, June 27, 2002 at 17:30:39 (-0400), Kurt Huhn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] FBI vs. bandwidth thieves
>
> Yeah, if cable companies cared to keep *real* engineers on staff instead of
> MCSE boot-camp graduates, they might know that.  Limiting bandwidth per
> originating IP on your network isn't exactly difficult to do.  Fuck, but I get
> fed up with cable companies...

Actually it is "that hard to do" if you're running common early DOCSIS
implementations.  The modems are in control of the bandwidth limiting on
the RF plant, not the headend CMTS.

The issue though isn't with limiting bandwidth per se, but rather with
locking down the modems so your customers (or the rest of the Internet)
can't screw with them.

--
								Greg A. Woods