[geeks] Re: um, hi. I'm new.

Beth Roberts beth at bethroberts.com
Thu Jun 27 16:52:33 CDT 2002

Wow, thanks for all the warm welcomes. :)

And damn, y'all are chatty. I was offline yesterday because my daughter was
visiting (and we had wicked lightning so I just powered down my machine to
be safe), and already I am awash in digests... I suppose I'll just have to
get used to it!

And yes, that's my daughter on my web page(s). I wasn't sure what the usual
introduction etiquette was around here, and I had already babbled on and on,
so I figured y'all would find my web pages if you were interested, and lo, I
was correct.

Oddly enough, on that front, I got an email today from a reporter from the
NYTimes wanting to interview me about my thoughts on the difficulty of
remaining anonymous in the age of Google (she got my name/email from a
metafilter post I made a while back, wherein I mentioned that I changed back
to my maiden name post-divorce so that I could be more anonymous). I haven't
replied to her yet, but I think it would be cool - I've never been
interviewed before. (Unless you count when David and I were accosted leaving
the theater today by News 8 Austin (local cable news channel) after watching
Minority Report).

And yes, I'm a vi person. I hated vi when I first started using it, but
slowly grew to really like it. A friend of mine once told me about various
religious wars about whether vi was a "moded" editor or not. He said of
course it was - the modes are "beep-feelie" (when you hit escape, you hear a
beep) and "non-beep-feelie" (no beep).

I was forced to use emacs for a computer class in college, so I do know
enough to realize that it's Just Not For Me. I will refrain from making
nasty comments about it, though. :)

-Beth