[geeks] looking for bitmap Font

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 27 16:53:00 CDT 2002

On June 27, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> My plan is to work up a program that has an initial suggestion for
> buttons, an initial screen support, and can do limited calculation and
> graphing to give people an idea what I'm talking about.  Then I can
> see who would be interested in continueing.  I don't plan to finish
> all the math work at this point.

  That sounds like a good plan.

> I gather that designing the hardware will be pretty easy for someone
> who knows what they are doing.  The part that I'm not really familiar

  Umm, well, not really...this would be a nontrivial development effort
from the hardware side.  Big displays and fast processors are
nontrivial to design with.  I'm pretty sure I can do it, though.

> with will be what it will take to get a basic scheme running on the
> calculator well enough to move the code from the software prototype
> over.  I think it might be best to write a memory manager in scheme,
> and it would be nice to have an on calculator debugger I think.  Also,
> I want to make sure it is actually a good scheme.  For instance, it
> should allow deep recursion without fear of a stack over flow like
> good unix schemes will.

  Is there a decent scheme available for any fast embeddable processor
(Dragonball maybe?) that you're aware of?  If not, we could
theoretically do something like that DragonIX thing that I sent the
URL about, and very tightly tailor the OS to running just the scheme
environment.

> What are you looking for exactly in the way of logical operations
> anyway?  Just or and xor not as functions to call in the calculator?

  Yup, just that sort of thing.  Maybe some hex arithmetic too, for
address calculations.

          -Dave