[geeks] The One True Rant (was: um, hi. I'm new.)

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Thu Jun 27 04:02:06 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 11:59:38PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:
> I'm not sure how many 24-hour HDs are in the Dallas area.  I'd
> hate to see them start going to normal hours.
>
> I can see the point of the off-hours being non-profitable.  They
> have to have the whole store lit, and have enough employees to
> assist customers, operate the cash registers, and provide
> security.

On the other hand, generally most retail stores have quite a bit
of stocking going on, so lights are on and such. In fact I was just
at the local chain grocery store (about 2:00AM) and there was 1 person
manning the self-serve checkout and ~15 stockers, seems pretty
efficent to me. And I would figure that the average customer
of HD at 2:00AM probably knows *exactly* what they want. Not much
need for customer assitance. I think the real reason is just that
they probably don't make much money, and doesn't really affect
their core customers (yuppies (I'm assuming)).

Jody