[geeks] THE HEAT! It's killin' me!

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Jun 26 15:12:17 CDT 2002

[ On Wednesday, June 26, 2002 at 14:29:51 (-0500), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] um, hi. I'm new.
>
> Welcome, to both of you.  Maybe I should start a "melting in central texas,
> damn this heat" list. 8-)

Central Texas might be hot, but it's getting damn yucky here in Toronto
too at 90F and 80%.  Our power cut out for a few minutes earlier today
(which is very weird for around here, given the only storm in the area
had passed over hours ago) and my second Best 3.1KVA UPS couldn't keep
itself cool enough while on battery power and the power factor module
overheated (it only hit 57C, but it's apparently a dodgy module -- the
sister UPS, with ten times the load, didn't exceed 35C on the same
sensor).  I've already added two box fans to the back of my units to
correct an air-flow design flaw, and that helped tremendously, but it's
still not enough for this unit, at least not with the ambient temp my
server room rides at on days like this (~85F -- the AC is not really
fairly matched to my servers, at least not when it has to fight against
the increasing heat in the rest of the basement too).  I guess I'll have
to phone BestPower and get a price on a replacement module -- that unit
is only running one SS20 right now, but I'd been hoping to move my whole
server rack over onto it (so that the servers would have more than
~20min reserve that's currently available on the old 1.4KVA unit).

--
								Greg A. Woods