[geeks] Win2k DNS issue - help!

wlewis at mailbag.com wlewis at mailbag.com
Wed Jun 26 15:04:25 CDT 2002

> On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 09:46, wlewis at mailbag.com wrote:
>
> > As near as I can tell, everything is setup correctly, but I can't get any
DNS
> > resolution. The IP stack itself is installed and working correctly - at
least
> > that's what ping appears to show. The router appears to be configured
properly
> > or the other machines on the network wouldn't see the world?
>
> Have you confirmed that there is someone listening on 53/udp?

All other machines on the lan use the same ISP DNS servers and resolve
correctly.

> Have you looked in your W2K services to see if the name server was
> running?

There is no local service running.

> From any of your *NIX boxes, have you done any work with nslookup to see
> if they can connect?

They connect just fine.

> At least nslookup will give you a more useful response to tell you what
> to look at next.
>
> BTW - with all of those other systems you've got, mind if I ask why pick
> the least capable platform for DNS services?

Not for services -just trying to get the blinking thing onto the internet.

As for that machine - work mandated short term panic mode (on their part) need.
Office2k doesn't run under OpenVMS and I'd like to have a game box afterwards
(which my SunPCi can't handle). BTW, the SunPCi running Win98 stopped seeing
the internet via it's emulated ethernet when I connected the router into the
system too. So I suspect something in the router but I really don't know for
sure. If I really wanted to, yes I could run bind quite well on the Vax or the
Alpha but I have no need to if I am already paying a service provider to do
that for me.

The machine will talk to my DSL provider just fine if it's connected directly
into the DSL modem. Name resolution works just fine then. It will not if
connected to my Linksys router (BEFSR-41) either into it's built in 4 port
switch or via my 5 port Linksys hub. This is the same with Win98, Win2k, and
most recent experiment XP Pro.

Thanks,

William