[geeks] um, hi. I'm new.

Beth Roberts beth at bethroberts.com
Wed Jun 26 13:36:12 CDT 2002

Howdy. I just subscribed to this list this past week, so I figured I'd
better introduce myself.

My name's Beth, and I live in Leander, TX with my boyfriend David. I'm 29,
currently unemployed, and I used to work as a technical editor for Lotus
(after two years in the squalid bowels of Lotus Notes tech support.
*shudder*).

I'm not terrifically geeky myself, but compared to a "normal" person, I
suppose I am. I have been on the net since 1991, getting started with unix
shell accounts at school (Colorado School of Mines) and all-text chatting on
a system written by a friend of mine called the Haven.

I can program my way out of a wet paper bag in more than one language (perl,
php), but I won't claim any more prowess than that. Well, ok, I can sorta
grok simple regexp.

My better half, David (44), is a Real Programmer type, though. He's wired
our house up with all kinds of cool home automation stuff, and we have
various cameras pointed around our house and barn (one on a pole above the
house, one pointed at the wild/feral critter feeding area in the barn, and a
couple more). He's also done cool things like build an oscilloscope out of
an old tv (this was a looong-ass time ago). Anyway, I think he's great :).

We have various cats (9 in the house at the moment) and dogs (three), and I
have a three-year-old daughter from a previous relationship who visits me a
few times a week.

>From what I've read so far, this seems like a really cool list, and I look
forward to reading and participating. If you're curious, I happened across
it by doing a google search for "trebuchet playground" [1] and landed
somewhere in the archives and I was intrigued.

Sorry this is so long. I'll shut up now. If you have any questions, feel
free to ask me...

[1] Someday one of my dreams is to create The Ultimate Playground, and I was
doing research seeing if anyone had made a playground with a trebuchet in
it.

-Beth
p.s. If anyone has leads on programmer jobs in the Austin area, I'd be
grateful - David is a skilled, clueful person with much contracting
experience who knows how to churn out code. Sorry if it's rude for me to
ask, but we *are* close to bankruptcy at this point.