[geeks] Let Microsoft secure your PC! (fwd)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Jun 25 23:28:02 CDT 2002

Kris Kirby wrote:

> Since they can't secure it from physical intrusion....
>
> First the RIAA.  Then the MPAA.  Now Microsoft.
>
>     http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/06/24/020624hnpalladium.xml

Sure it's secure, until someon discovers the backdoor that M$ put in there so
that they can access all your info and provide it to athorities as they see
fit.

Apparently Windows will be required, and the first version will ship with
bugs.  Hrm.  Looks like I got nothing to worry about.

The technology is probably good, but it's being implemented for all the wrong
reasons - it's not for the users, it's for the music and software biz to ensure
that you're not misusing their products.

What are the chances that hacking it to do something else will be against the
terms of the license agreement?  What are the chances that M$, along with the
music, movie, and software crowd, try to push through legislation to make this
technology required by law to be included in new PCs?
--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster