[geeks] Monitor Repair.

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Jun 25 11:42:35 CDT 2002

Does anyone know of a good source for flyback transformer replacement.

I have a Radius PrecisionColor 20e... same as the SonyGDM20e20 or model
0461 with a bad flyback.  I currently have an insulated box of staples
resting in between the tube neck and the power assembly on the right
hand side which appears to work... i.e. increase the distance between
whatever in the flyback was arcing and causing the monitor to crash...
(flashing power and energysaver with a GEOM light on solid).  Without
the box of staples... delicate pressing on the front monitor yoke and a
straightening of the power module vertically resulted in the monitor
running for about 45 seconds then an arc and a crash...(lather rinse
repeat)... before I opened the unit I'd occasionally get a charging of
the CRT, but mostly just immediate blinking of LED's.
I'm thinking of trying a piece of cardboard in the unit permanently (As
this monitor kicks ass as a Sun Ultra 2 Creator display).  Thoughts?

Andrew