[geeks] Win2k DNS issue - help!

wlewis at mailbag.com wlewis at mailbag.com
Tue Jun 25 08:46:55 CDT 2002

Ok, before I take a sledgehammer to this box I'm trying to get setup, perhaps
one of you has some ideas to clue me with.

I have a box I am trying to set up - P3/450, 256mb, 6gb, built in everything -
with Win2k. I have it connected to my hub which is in turn connected to my
Linksys BEFSR41 4 port DSL router. My Sun Blade 100, Vaxstation 4000/90, and
Alphaserver 300 are all also on this hub and working fine.

I have the network connection set to get the IP and DNS information
automatically from the router. If I do ipconfig/all I get back all the correct
information. If I ping the dns server by IP address (ping 204.128.1.20) it
comes back just fine. However if I ping by name, it comes back with a host name
unresolvable error.

As near as I can tell, everything is setup correctly, but I can't get any DNS
resolution. The IP stack itself is installed and working correctly - at least
that's what ping appears to show. The router appears to be configured properly
or the other machines on the network wouldn't see the world?

Any hints appreciated.

Thanks,

William