[geeks] books for fun?

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon Jun 24 12:51:20 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 10:44:15AM -0400, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, David Cantrell wrote:
> > Right now, I'm reading Iain M. Banks "Inversions"
> Iain M. Banks is an author a buddy of mine put me on to.  VERY good
> stuff.  Although some of it is VERY dark.  Really.  Said friend lent
> me "Against a Dark Background" with the warning of "It's very dark."
> Heck, at halfway through, I thought that.  It got worse.

The Wasp Factory is darker :-)  One of the reviewers on Amazon describes it
as "a horrible, horrible book. Worth every second you spend reading it".

He writes as Iain M. Banks and as Iain Banks - with an M, it's sci-fi,
without, it's just fucked up.

       Liver with fava beans and a nice chianti is
       less appealing if the donor has cirrhosis
          -- after Coyu, in soc.history.what-if