[geeks] Disney going to HP Linux for animation

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Mon Jun 24 00:20:54 CDT 2002

"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

> > Man, why even buy blades when there
> > are 1U servers out there?
> > Cramming 42 units inside a 42U cabinet would be enough IMO. (Or even 47
> > units, with Compaqs 10647 rack)
>
> Well, I'd rather have blade servers any day.  All those little tiny
> power supplies and little tiny fans and such are very prone to failure.
> I'd rather have good large N+1 redundant hot-swap units on one big
> chassis.  I can swap a single card a lot easier than I can swap an
> entire unit too, even I've got cable arms and sliders and everything
> (eg. like the Apple Xserve, which comes with all that stuff out of the
> box).

Well, the Proliant DL380G2 is just right at the limit of beeing too
small. It's compact, but still expandable. Two slots out of three are
64bit/66MHz hot pluggable and you better not have fingers like
bratwursts if you need to unplug a card with the machine up and running.
:-)
Still, it has U3-SCSI, RAID 0+1/5, 2 CPUs, redundant RAM, 6 drive bays
and redundant power builtin, in 3 U. That's the perfect sized PeeCee for
our company.

--
Vnliga hlsningar/Best Regards
Bjrn Ramqvist, Hgglunds Vehicle AB