[geeks] ahem

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Jun 23 13:39:42 CDT 2002

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 09:40:18AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > On a note related to not just using them in a cad/modelling program,
> > of all the manners for curved surfaces I've looked at mathematically,
> > from implicit surfaces, CSG, subdivision, bezier patches, and more
> > that are uncommon, NURBS are the hardest and most complicated to
> > grok.  Heck, in my experience in 2D curves, B-Splines (rational or
> > not, uniform or not) are just about the hardest to deal with (though
> > that may be a matter of bad presentation from professors).
>
> Lack of proper instruction is one reason why I can't work with patch or
> subdivision modeling.  Some practice, however, may solve that if I ever
> hae the patience to stick with it.

I never got formal instruction on subdivision modelling.  I just saw a
3DS Max 1.2 demo for polygon modelling using extrusion, face division
(straight forward dividing faces up into multiple ones, not what
people usually think of a subdivision surfaces), and the smoothmesh
operator.  I just kinda stuck for real subdivision surfaces also.

--
Joshua D. Boyd