[geeks] Re: [rescue] fans fans fans...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sun Jun 23 07:57:25 CDT 2002

Chad Fernandez wrote:

> How is an anti-sway bar going to stiffin the ride over a bump that much?
>   If the axle hops you have to be running over the bump with both
> wheels, at which point both ends of the anti-sway bar rotate up.
>
> I notice that many Dodge 1-tons have a bar in the back, although, my
> Chevy doesn't.  I'm not sure about Fords.  My Chevy take corners pretty
> good, although, I suppose if I went fast enough the back end would break
> loose.  It doesn't really lean very much with the stiff springs and all.

Well, there I go inserting the wrong word again.  I meant to say "body
hop" not "axle hop".  I was pretty consumed with cleaning the house
yesterday, and my mind was probably elsewhere as I typed that.

YMMV, as always.  I only provided the example of my truck, which has the
heavy duty (i.e. stiff and unyielding) suspension parts options,
including big honkin' anti-sway bars.  My truck may, or may not, be
typical of Dodge 1500 4x4 with two solid axles.  I also had a '83 Chevy
Blazer K5 that did the same thing.  I've recently driven one of the new
Ram 1500s that have IFS up front, similar to the Ford F150 and Chevy
1500.  It was *much* better behaved over bumps, and displayed none of
the above, either front or rear.  I can't speak for either Ford or
Chevy, having only driven either one of smooth paved roads.

I probably should have qualified that with "My truck...blah blah"
instead of saying "Trucks...blah blah".  But I did say "In my
experience".  There I go applying Kurt's World to the rest of the
universe :)

Anyhoo...I don't know the suspension geometry of your truck, so I can't
really comment on the turning ability, but I suspect that you may have
IFS, and that will help turn-in a great deal.  On exit, you'll be able
to break the rear loose if you goose it a little - sometimes it's fun to
do.  Taking a corner sideways in a 5000lb vehicle is, um, exciting...
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com