[geeks] RE: [rescue] fans fans fans...

William W. Arnold warnold at vipnet.org
Sat Jun 22 15:49:06 CDT 2002

Kris Kirby writes ---
>I've had conversations at $ORK[-2] with factory workers who believe that
>if they are doing the speed limit in the left-hand lane, You just have to
>deal with it. I tried to reason with them: "What if a road-rager comes
>along and gets behind you? What if he rams you?" "Not my problem." "How is
>getting injured or possibly killed not your problem?" No answer.

The correct answer to this (in Virginia at least) Is that you're required
to yield to all overtaking vehicles.  It doesn't matter if their speeding,
If they're going faster than you you're required to move out of their
way as soon as it's safe to do so.  If you don't then the cop gets to
pull whichever one of you he wants to. (Him for speeding, or you for
failure to yield).  A cop I talked to mentioned that he would pull
the person that didn't yield in most situations, because that would
be the most dangerous activity (moderate speeding usually not being
a big danger)

(hmmm, after looking at the actual law, you're only required to yield
if he signals for you to do so.  The cop told me different, but there
may be another related law)

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-842

 46.2-842. Driver to give way to overtaking vehicle.

Except when overtaking and passing on the right is
permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give
way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle
on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of
his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking
vehicle. Any over-width, or slow-moving vehicle as defined
by  46.2-1081 shall be removed from the roadway at the
nearest suitable location when necessary to allow traffic
to pass.

(Code 1950,  46-227; 1958, c. 541,  46.1-211; 1979, c. 361; 1989, c. 727.)

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-842.1

 46.2-842.1. Drivers to give way to certain overtaking
vehicles on divided highways.

It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking
traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and
abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On
audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken
vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking
vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely
do so. A violation of this section shall not be construed
as negligence per se in any civil action.

(1989, c. 708,  46.1-211.1.)

-billy- warnold at vipnet.org