[geeks] Sun Fire V120 Server -vs- Apple Xserve

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Jun 21 12:44:22 CDT 2002

[ On Thursday, June 20, 2002 at 23:53:53 (-0400), alex j avriette wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Sun Fire V120 Server -vs- Apple Xserve
>
> > I *love* OSX as a desktop (I havent touched my Windows PC in almost a
> > week now... I tend to switch back and forth), but I dont know if its
> > ready for "server" use.  Samba and such, sure, but I dunno about other
> > stuff.
>
> its a piss poor server os. the processor i've found is pretty stellar at
> crunching the database stuff i do for work, and i like their flavor of
> apache.

You see I would say the exact opposite (we have a client running G4
towers with OS X (recently upgraded to 10.1.4, IIRC) for all their
database servers and web servers (they push 2-3 GB of web traffic per
day).  Darwin makes a very good server platform, especially for
applicatoins such as web servers.  It also does a damn good job of
making use of multiple processors.

We and they really like OS X as a server platform, especially for
clients who for the most part manage their own servers, and the new
support in 10.1.5 the support for a headless server is even better.

However we really don't like their "flavour" of apache -- but use it
anyway because in a couple of instances the ready-integrated features
make things simpler (and of course upgrades are simpler that way too).

--
								Greg A. Woods