[geeks] Apex DVD players

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jun 21 10:48:02 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 11:47:41AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On June 21, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > >   I have a 1500.  Got any info about this?
> >
> > Does the serial number start with SV?  If so, you would have to go in
> > and replace a chip (which is problematic if you like having the on
> > unit display work).  If your serial number starts differently, you
> > have a completely different unit (about the only thing shared is the
> > case), and it is CD-R upgradable.
> >
> > See http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/1500/1500_firmware.htm
> >
> > You have to go over halfway down the page to get to the part that
> > talks about upgrading the CD-R upgradable units.
>
>   My serial number starts with "1500".  I will check this out.  Thanks
> for the pointer!

My understanding is that if you had a non CD-R upgradable unit, the
CD-R upgrade would fail without any damage.

I suspect that it wouldn't be that hard to create a ROM for the 1500
that fixed the problems (RCE, Regions, Macrovision) while still
preserving screen functionality.  We have a 1500 ROM that supports the
screen, and a 500w rom that fixes the other things.  Someone with the
knowhow just needs to merge the two.

Worst case, just use the switch hack and put both roms in.  The switch
hack was from before there were RCE proof roms.  What one would do
would be to use a ROM that was twice as large as needed, and run a
switch (mounted on the side of the case) to the high bit of the rom
address.  So, if you put the original image low, and the regionless
image high, when watching most disks you would turn the switch on, but
for RCE disks you would turn it off.

Also, if you have the non-CD-R upgradable unit, it is pretty easy to
add component outputs (I don't know if you projector supports
component inputs, but if it didn't, a scan doubler should allow you to
use the VGA port, assuming you do have that).  It is also pretty easy
to improve the analog audio output a lot.

--
Joshua D. Boyd